Monday, November 30, 2009

"And God must be a pretty big fan of 'today', because you keep waking up to it. You have made known your request for a hundred different yesterdays, but the sun keeps rising on this thing that has never been known. Yesterday is dead and over. Wrapped in grace. Those days are grace. You are still alive, and today is the most interesting day. Today is the best place to live."



This is a blog-bit by Jamie Tworkowski, 28-yr old founder of the non-profit org To Write Love on Her Arms, which aims to present hope to people who are far, far away from hope.  I love it.  I thought it was beautiful.  I want to hang it over my bed so it's the last thing I see when I hit the sack and the first thing I see when I hang the sun in the sky. 


It's actually a really interesting story - how Jamie started TWLOHA.  He'd met a girl who was suffering with painful addictions and had carved "F*ck Up" on her arms with a razor blade.  Changed Jamie's life direction permanently.  He went from surfer to "souldier". He wanted, he said, to find a way "to write love on her arms."  


I happened upon the story by chance.  Here's how: I'm a fan of Jon Foreman (former frontman for Switchfoot) and saw this great pix of him wearing a sweet Harmonica shirt* (see pix below).  I'm a sucker for cool t-shirts as well as a bit of a detective.  When the two collide BAM!  I find new fun interesting things.  This was no exception.  So, I covet Jon's Harmonica shirt, I type in a few wordbites to see if I could score the shirt (i haven't yet) and saw this week's Rolling Stone article.  WOW.  (Seriously Pollyanna string the prisms on Mrs. Snow's wall and cue the music).  I also visited Jamie's very popular MySpace page and thought he had some pretty powerful messages about hope and about what it means to NOT give up on your Self.  I was surprised and saddened by how many KIDS feel like they have nothing to offer this world. 


Anyway, if you get a chance to read the article, I'm curious to hear your thoughts about it.  To Write Love on Her Arms.  This is beautiful.
h-to-the-ope,
kay

l-r: jon + cool t-shirt, jamie founder of TWLOHA and other dude.


*sidebar:  if you should find that shirt and tell me where the H i can buy it, I will be so very thankful and will sing you a song.

No comments:

Post a Comment