Friday, November 20, 2009

We'll Run Like We're Awesome, Totally Genius.

Not much to write on this morning.  Pulled myself out of bed at 7:55am only to lie there and finish up the final 100 pages of.....Eclipse.  Okay FINE I gave in or gave up and starting reading the Twilight series.  I have one more left.  I just want to be done.  I am not craaaazy about it like many of my friends had been.  I held out forever in reading it because I think it's killing my brain cells, one bloodsucker at a time.  I think it's just okay.  Too many scowls and fury from Bella and this whole love triangle.  I left high school about 10 years ago and feel good about leaving the teenage angst and dizzy love/lusts of the prepubescent era:)  When you grow up, it's different, right?


I'm headed off to my chiro this rainy morning, too.  My stupid foot is aching in the rain (sprained it playing soccer too long ago for it to still hurt) and my tight psoas flipped out on me yesterday.  I feel like a jigsaw puzzle which is not good the day before one of my favorite races.  I'm really hoping to run a decent time in tomorrow's Jingle Bell 10K here in Portsmouth, NH.  Decent for me would be in the 7's.  This 10K is great for so many reasons.  Besides getting to wear little bells all over your shoes, it's raising money and awareness for arthritis (almost $10,000 so far)!  I have been fortunate to have healthy joints and bones, but I know one day this beat up body will experience the achy stiffness and hopefully nothing unmanageable.  I would be lucky. There are people - about 46 million in fact, who suffer from this debilitating disease, the most common cause for disability in the US.  I love it when races support a great cause.  It humbles me quite often when I think of how I've been fairly blessed with the ability to be healthy mentally and physically.  I must continue to challenge myself to get OUT of my comfortably ignorant zone of ME and look to where I can help others.  I mean I had NO clue how many people suffer from really serious arthritis until I signed up for this race and decided to research what my 6.2 would be run for.   

I am confident that regardless of my pace or time, my foot and my psoas will be fine in the end.  They are recoverable.  They will fix.  They are no big deal compared to some kid out there who can't play sport because his joints are swollen.  A change of perspective and I feel blessed for it.  At least I have a choice: I don't HAVE to suffer but I GET to suffer, mildly, as I run 10K to the finish.  And every mile I will thank God that he's given me the ability to run for a cure for someone who never had a choice.

x-to-the-oh,
kay


No comments:

Post a Comment