Saturday, September 25, 2010

I entered into a dreamland

Ever loved a place so much that it actually becomes a physical presence in your life?  Boulder, Colorado carries part of my heart.  Whenever I go out there, I’m snipping the cord that tethers me to Boston.  Somewhere over the midwest, a little troll sitting on the wing of the plane pulls out his figurative scissors and I am free.
I headed out to Boulder last Saturday to attend the wedding of Kristin Carpenter and John Supsic.  I’d met Kristin only last Fall when I’d joined Mary’s BX team for one of their long runs.  We immediately hit it off and stories were volleyed between us girls.   The miles went by effortlessly.  Fast forward to Sunday afternoon, where about 100+ friends and family gathered at Chataqua Park to celebrate their union.  It was hot as the hinges on the gates of hell and I realize this is not a good analogy for wedding talk, but I can think of nothing hotter.  93 degrees, not a cloud in the sky, facing the raw burning ball of fire as it s-l-o-w-l-y made it’s way beyond the flatirons.  I had knee sweat.  The guy in front of me was recreating the path of the Nile along his hairline, and have a newfound admiration for Pat, whose blue buttoned-down dress shirt had not even a drop of sweat on it.  Pat is clearly part of the rare breed of non-sweaters (as I type this I imagine a giant pile of unraveled sweater sitting beside a topless man, the end of the wooly string tucked into his pants...).  

Anyway, the wedding was lovely and Kristin was a beautiful bride.  We followed the wedding party to the Rembrandt where dancing, mojitos, cupcakes and glass bowls of candy winked and shimmered all night long.  I obviously danced like it was my job and was very impressed at the number of dance fanatics on the dance floor all around me.  I’m usually accompanied by a few old men and inebriated moms who got the night off.  This was awesome.  I was able to get down with the twin, too.  It was great fun, and made for some interesting observances.  Can someone tell me why men’s ties end up around their heads as the night progresses?
After Sunday, my week was centered around being outside as much as possible and doing fun things.  This is not hard to do in a town that is essentially perfect except for the fact that it has no ocean (I’ve asked God to make something out of this predicament, but it seems splitting the US down the middle is not top priority).
So I’ll share some highlights:
Monday NOON, An hour run up in Heil Valley Ranch (Picture Rock Trail) with Sarah Legh and Mary Moo.  
I met Sarah soon after I landed on Saturday at a BBQ she and her husband, Chris, hosted for a few peeps.  It was rocking.  That night, we made plans to meet up on Monday afternoon for an hour’s run up Picture Rock Trail in Lyons.  Fast-forward a few days later and we laced up the shoes, grabbed some Gu and started up towards the silo.  Mary kept us at a steady, comfortable pace as we leapt over mountain lion scat and kept our eyes on the rocky trail.  It was one skinny dusty line snaking over arid foothills.  
I was bringing up the back and on occasion would look cautiously over my shoulder to be sure we weren’t being stalked by a big cat.  I had heard from a trusted source that the cats don’t lunch midday. But with waist-high grass, rock outcroppings above us and single track you can’t be too careful.  I since found out that this “midday snack” thing was a complete myth and likely used to get me out on the trail.  It worked.
Tuesday AM, Marshall Road w/the BX crew
Well, technically I did not run with the BXers.  I merely arrived at 6:30am and ran the Marshall Trail with a few of them for a warm up.  Then, when they began their 8x3 minuters (which took them around one giant 8mile loop), I ran Marshall about 3 more times alone or with some late comers to the party who wanted a warm-up buddy.  I’d say I ran about 6 miles total, which was kind of hysterical because I hate doing the same loop twice in a row, let alone 4 times in one day!  But the scenery was beautiful, the crew was kind and full of energy and the sun rising was undoubtably in sync with my spirits.  
Tuesday PM, Menomena @ the Fox Theater
I was introduced to this band by a coworker who shares a passion for music.  I’ve since been hooked to their musicality, which sounds like gravel hitting the sea in a shimmering rain shower.  Intricate and vast.  When I found out they were playing in Boulder, I tried to convince Mary and Joe to go with me.  Alas, both had early workouts the following day and they were saving up to see Local Natives - which are coming to the Fox Theater this week.  I’m fine going to hear music alone and with that, bought my tickets, threw on some boots, skinny jeans, chapstick and hit up the venue for the last two songs of the first act, Tu Fawney.  Then came The Suckers, then Menomena.  Loved it.
Wednesday AM,  Flatiron #3
A hike with a friend proved to be good for the legs, the lungs and the heart.  It’s nice to hike with someone who doesn’t require a lot of stories from you - especially when you’re trying to be cool and seem “in shape”.  I’m actually quite good at the uphill climb, but the downhill really sucks.  My knees rebel, by body quivers with the fatigue of supporting my lanky frame and my quads like to remind me that they’re not THAT strong.  After a nice respite at the top (well, not actually the “top” but the highest point you can go on this flatiron), with climbers shouting orders above us and a whole swatch of Colorado flattened out in front of us, conversation flowed freely between life and where the heck-bomb the CU football field was located.  
A post-hike espresso and vegan scone at the local coffeehouse made for a nice ending to a great morning.  Now off to find Mary and Joe...
Wednesday PM, 10k TheGambles and Sherpa’s
I was feeling restless.  I found out my flight was actually at 7:55am the next day and made haste to change that sucker to later in the morning AND was also able to find a non-stop (which I could do for only a couple bucks more, thank you Southwest).  Clouds had come through and after sprawling on the floor watching Iron Chef and doing some last-minute laundry, Joe and I decided to head out on the trails for an “easy” run.  Mind you, I’m talking about Joe Gambles here.  Evidently I was supposed to be setting the pace but anyone who knows me knows I cannot pace anyone - especially myself.  Well, we hit the trails and needless to say, we had speed.  Which sucked.  Because I’m still polishing the slim string of a psoas spasm from last Sunday’s death run where my right leg jack-knifed to my gut.  But in the end it was beautiful and running next to Joe was like running next to a leopard and I’ve always wanted to keep speed with a wild animal.

Then we went to Sherpa’s - on Walnut & 9th - where we proceeded to take down some serious Nepalese food and naan while admiring the framed pictures of adventurers who have ticked off dozens of the world’s highest peaks.  I think the guy next to us was an alpinist (I swear), as I heard him talking about the “film crew” that had to go back down and he tossed around “Kathmandu” the way I would discuss my vegetarian Jal Fregi sauce. I love love LOVE it there and if I do move to Boulder, it will become my favorite haunt, hands down.  Sherpas.  Amazing.

There were other fantastic moments, to be sure, and I can share them with you on any occasion that we meet.  This particular blog isn’t about a mindset, or a challenge, or a perspective, but in the last 5 days I’ve realized just how great my life is, and in living it I feel I have a better appreciation for all of those things.  Of course, that will change over and over again.  But such is life:)  And that’s cool by me.

1 comment:

  1. oh i love, love, love this. it is so you. and that's why. here's to VISITING boulder, staying parked in boston.....please?