Sunday, June 6, 2010

About Today.

I’ve moved!  Which is partly why it’s taken me a long time to update the blog.  
I am in my new space in a city that tucked me under it’s wing again, only this time it feels like I own a little more of myself and i like it that way.  it’s like making snow angels in snow you feel good about.  it’s a perfect temperature to make snow angels in snow that makes good snow angels and it makes the angels even better.  but enough about snow.  i’m here to say i’ve started chapter 11 of my life and thus far, it’s been one tiring journey.  
Tuesday afternoon I drove the UHaul down to Marlborough St (avoiding crazy Storrow Drive and all its low bridges even though I was pretty certain I could clear them) and unloaded just before the big thunderstorm hit.  Poor KateMills had to drive a very unfamiliar UHaul back through the city streets and up to New Hampshire.  She is a rockstar, but still - scary.  It took 32 minutes to unload.  Having moved almost every year since I moved into the city back in 2002, I am STILL in awe of how long it takes to pack n’ load and how quick it is to unload a truck.  Physics are involved.  
Wednesday I started my brand new job at Full Contact.  I love it.  The people are smart, kind, funny, creative and they make me laugh alot.  They all like each other and that’s huge.  It’s always tough the first few days at any job - adjusting, diving in, uncertainty of the process but confident in your ability to figure it out.  It’s like being the new kid in school.  You know how to be a student, it’s just....well, new.  
Thursday after work I went to see one of my FAVORITE bands, The National, perform at the House of Blues with my friend, Claire.  She got me into these fools and I blame her for my addiction.  Such an addiction, in fact, that I purchased my tickets way back in March and even as exhausted as I’d been over the last few days of moving, was STOKED to hit up the concert for what was sure to be a late night.  Started pretty dramatically with the HOB ticket police telling me I’d purchased last night’s show....(what??!)  I almost vomited, my knees went.  Pois was all levels of Cool as we speed-walked to the ticket booth to sweet talk me into the SOLD OUT show.  Two words:  Katrina Peruzzi.  She was the worker who exchanged my ticket.  I finally was able to swallow, and thanked her in my shell-shocked state.  Still berating myself with inner monologue “How could you be such an idiot?!”  Ah, well.  It all worked out:)  The opening act, The Antlers, were flippn fantastic and magical.  The lead singer has a crazy good voice and his harmonies were sick.  Great opener.  Hung around back until The National and then we made our way up to the middle section.  This really should be another post altogether but I feel like I haven’t talked to you forever so I’m going to Reader’s Digest that shiz right now:  B.O. man with a shirt soaked entirely through to the bone stood right next to me.  His buddy had the worst breath.  Oh gosh it was AWFUL.  honestly my eyes were burning.  He had this way of rolling/shaking his head around like he was at some Slayer concert.  I mean, I spent a good chunk of the sound-check time wondering how the H-bomb this kid got so sweaty.  The Antlers is not house music.  Then, to our front-right were about six kids (yes, children) who couldn’t have been more than 16.  Now, this wouldn’t have bothered me if they could’ve acted older than their age but let’s be honest:  I knew one girl who acted older than 16, and she was the President of our Senior Class and went to Harvard.  So I can’t blame these fools for showing up to The National and playing a rousing game of “whose back can I pour down all the ice from my cup?!”  And playing eight-way pattycake?  Yeah, i think they meant to hit up the Miley Cyrus concert and missed the boat.  
Aside from BO-man, Halitosis Boy,  The Babies of Boston...I loved it.  Everything melted like hot wax off a candle once the boys came on stage and took us to another world.  If you haven’t seen The National, find them, listen and fall in love, patiently.  It takes time to melt into their pacing.
So then it was Friday and then it was Saturday and IKEA and building a bed, a table, and outfitting my bathrooom with Toe (ask me about Toe), nursing a right hand who’s hardly recognizable because of the screwing, pounding, slamming, lifting, shifting it did all day with the IKEAness of my bed....I can safely say the place is coming along really nicely.  I love it.  And no small thanks goes to my friend, Ben, who’s been helping me via phone, email, pictures, texting, etc figure out where all stuff goes.  He’s an amazing designer.  And GIANT low-high-fives go to Pois, for driving us to IKEA, for Jazzy Jasmine Jetta fitting the bed package which definitely looked like it wouldn’t fit until Kind Man from IKEA helped us and tied knots + stuff:) 
I still nurse my right hand.  My thumb can’t type the space button and I’m nervous that tomorrow it will be immovable.  Hopefully I can get out on the river for a nice long run.  A deep breath.  A sigh.  A long pause.  A grateful heart and a high five for a city that winks at it’s regulars, the people who know it’s streets, it’s pulse, it’s skin beyond the stained Massachusetts Avenues and trodden park paths.  The people who love it for what lives under it all, the regulars.  The ones who return.

No comments:

Post a Comment